2013-7-20 map direction notes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fhf
Peon
Peon

Battle.net Name : frozenhelfire

PostSubject: 2013-7-20 map direction notes   Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:30 pm

I'm going to be posting notes on the direction I plan to take the beta using year/month/day format in the title. Hopefully this can help the map move along faster with feedback and some general organization. The format I plan to use for these posts is starting with a numbered list of things I'm doing next, and then a section where I talk about problems/new features I hope to address later or get some feedback on.

To-do list:

1. Look at removing human minute-tick lumber income. This is mostly to further simplify the game for me and make it easier to balance. I feel that the new global leak and the tier 0 worker change should help to counteract the loss of lumber.
  2. Remove the worker attacks on super ubers and higher. Humans can steal a Lich and roar them to gib vampires. It sounds like it'd be easy to avoid with conc+windwalk, but the attack has also been a source of annoyance for humans for quite some time with your workers running around the base trying to attack vampires or graves.
  3. Rework the back end of the onslaught items. The code is pretty inefficient because I had to do a lot of work-arounding because you can't get the armor value/type of anything directly in wc3. Every wall had different armor values, and the +armor from the ultra research upgrades. Also, if you know how to abuse it you can get over 600k damage. This bug also exists in 1.5
  4. Add an option for the gold spring to upgrade to the gold fountain. Right now you have to kill your spring to get the option to make the gold fountain.
  5. Right now the meat wagon is a bit OP, mostly due to armor changes requiring human towers to do much less damage output.
  6. Remove periodic gold income for vampires. Vampires should get more gold from the 'feeding stage' (basically the name for pre-vault when vamps are expected to have almost no resistance killing human bases) than in 1.5. They also have earlier access to claws of pillaging, and now a combo item (probably to be named debit card) that further increases income in the mid game. The global level tomes were also pretty OP because mini's could buy them almost 100% from minute gold. Should further help balance the vampires.
  7. Look at revitalizing scream, reported as bugged.

Problems to address/get feedback:

• The tower system is still pretty primitive. I'm looking at making some towers that you have to choose between. Such as you can build one, but not the other(s). An example could be a tower that gives the vamps -armor, and a tower that can stun the vamps. Looking forward to some suggestions on this. Also, some more damage towers besides flame towers.
  • Look at some ways to reduce the APM (actions per minute) required for humans to play the game. The gold spring and the tier 0 worker changes are a pretty good first step, but humans are still expected to tech faster and have to put more work into defending against vamps than 1.5. This is partly a remnant of humans getting over-nerfed and vamps over-buffed because of 1.5.
  • Perhaps give the meat wagon a startup timer so it can't be purchased before a certain time. Perhaps add a stronger french man, make the wagon unable to be teleported to, and then make the meatwagon fill a different role.

Random map thought garbage:
Right now balance probably favors the vampires. I'm saying probably because there haven't been many games since global leaks were implemented and that is a huuuge buff to humans. Recently I've changed the tier 0 workers (the ones that only cost food) to take double the food and approximately doubled their wood gathering rate. Basically, this means that humans get the same economy with half the workers. Humans can now re-base faster/with less actions and vampires will get significantly less feed from workers. I've also added global leaks (if a human sells a leak, all humans get gold, seller gets sell value bonus) as something experimental. It should help balance the game because humans are now much more equal in terms of economy. With the higher drop rate humans should almost always get at least one leak.

Recently changed mirror shield values.
-Lasts 7->6 seconds
-Cooldown 20->40 seconds
These are the non-vampiric concoction values. I may also change the nature of the active to deal non-lethal damage to workers on a wall, remove the damage component completely, or change the behavior of the item all together. Maybe changing the uptime is the only nerf the item needs. It used to allow vamps to stay on a wall forever because vamps would basically be invulnerable for over half the time. In 1.5 having it kill towers or workers was helpful because humans had to do almost nothing to fend off vamps without the items. In the new version defending is a lot more involved so the mirror shield has been pretty OP.

Recently buffed slayer starting stats/damage/stat gain a bit. Trying to make them a bit more relevant without over buffing them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fhf
Peon
Peon

Battle.net Name : frozenhelfire

PostSubject: Re: 2013-7-20 map direction notes   Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Double posting to say that I'll probably make a thread like this for each major new beta release. This thread counts for the 2013-7-18(a,b,c) version of the map. In the future the date in the OP should line up to a version of the beta. There will probably be releases that I don't make these threads for, but you can expect the to-do list to be fully implemented in the beta each time a new thread appears.

Profile pic/avatar is after El Mirador survived opaca's "onslaught" and healed up a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
opaca
Berserker
Berserker

Battle.net Name : opaca

PostSubject: Re: 2013-7-20 map direction notes   Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:49 pm

fhf wrote:
Perhaps add a stronger french man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1cLOIxsQ8#t=0m28

Berserker
Berserker

Battle.net Name : czydude@azeroth

PostSubject: Re: 2013-7-20 map direction notes   Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:38 pm

the unit that got hit with transmog should be more noticeable. same with the ability that kills a bunch of units around the targeted unit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Northern.Lite
Shaman
Shaman

Battle.net Name : Northern.Lite(VBU)/Demoness(VBL)

PostSubject: Re: 2013-7-20 map direction notes   Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:18 pm

The beta testing bot has been moved to a different server due to problems in the line from the NY server it was on yesterday. Hopefully this will resolve the issues it was having maintaining a connection to bnet and more games will be played over the remainder of the weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2013-7-20 map direction notes   

Back to top Go down

2013-7-20 map direction notes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1