Dubs basic human guide

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dub
Grunt
Grunt

Battle.net Name : Dubhghall

PostSubject: Dubs basic human guide   Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:00 am

I know that this won't really be a fully comprehensive guide where I suggest a counter for everything that you see, but rather a general guideline on how you should play. This is simply a basic guide for new players so they get a basic understanding of how to play human.

At the start, blink away from middle and make a house and two tents, spam workers until 65/65 food. From here I would recommend one of two strategies.

1. Choose a base to build in, be sure to make a wall or a house at the front to stop the vampires from running in while windwalked and killing you! Then you will want to establish lumber, all the way until you're at 280/300 and build a research center and slayer tavern for slayer. You will want to research taskmaster for increased lumber collection from workers and masonry to help keep your walls alive.

2. Scatter base, I'm not the absolute best at this, but the idea is to make a house and two tents in different bases and have each village house make 7 workers, this lets you move onto make the next mini base faster, and if graved you will be able to rebuild the workers fairly fast without losing a large portion of your income if you chose my first suggestion. Once you have 280/300 supply build a slayer tavern for a slayer then research center for taskmaster and masonry. If you want a replay of how to do this you should find games by Opaca in the live stats area and replays from him, he is very good at this method.

At this point there's a few Do's and Don'ts

1. Don't stand out in the middle of a base without something blocking the entrance.
2. Try to be as fast as you can, the faster you can get workers up the faster you can get resources.
3. Try to pickup items that the vamp drops when he/she kills things, it will speed up tech!
4. If you're doing the scatter base method, be sure to watch where the vampires are, but then again you should always be looking!!
5. Don't commit to a base until the ten minute mark when you get your first gold or until you have a leak and lumber to make a decent wall.

From the 10 minute mark onward you will want to select a base, make a slayers vault, and a single wall at the choke in the ramp, use a regular reinforced wall and upgrade it into a mega wall. And make a super fatass wall a few spaces behind your wall to detect shades and heal yourself from chain lightening. At the 5 minute mark you will want to upgrade a village house to a lumberyard and make goldmines using your human > gem obelisk > gem builder > goldmines. The sooner the better when it comes to making goldmines because you will want to make super workers from the lumberyard.  Note: DO NOT PUT GOLDMINES ON THE EDGE! They can be blown up by a rain of inferno.

From this point you really just want to tower as need be to keep the vampire away from your base while continuing to build goldmines until you have 42 income or 21 goldmines. You will want to upgrade your lumberyard to a deforestation house and make a total of 4 uber workers and then save when you have your 42 income.

When you have 270+gold from saving, have a super worker make an ultra research center then have your new research center make a super tower builder, who will then make your command center.

From this point on it's really about making goldwells with the tower builder from your command center, while maintaining the balance of your defense vs how strong the vampire is. Once you have 250 gold income you can save for a spire. Note that if the vampire has a lot of gold you will want to upgrade to a beast wall before your spire.

The rest is pretty much just your choice. I've outlined the tech structure. Here are some things that you should be thinking about while teching.

1. Am I safe? If you are not then you should react accordingly by upgrading your towers or your wall. Or conversely making castle walls at the edges where there aren't any trees to stop the vampires from blinking in using sphere of doom.
2. If you are safe can you afford to cut a few corners by making less towers or not upgrading your wall? If you can achieve this then you will be farther ahead in terms of tech because you have invested less into your defense.

As for some general tips throughout the game, here are some suggestions that I would make, the more of these you can do the better player you can become.

1. Always have a rough idea of where the vampires are and how strong they are. It may be hard for newer players to estimate how strong the vampires are. But if you look at the item guide you can know what each item does, beyond simple things like his damage. http://clanvbl.forumotion.com/t59-item-list-vb

2. Keep your slayer alive to use knights to help repair your wall. You can get knights after your first goldmine if you are being attacked a lot, and with that being said keep your slayer in the pool when it is safe so he can get stronger. The slayer is used to grab items and to kill frenchmen that may run past your wall. You can also net the vampire near your towers to kill him.
3. Four meteor towers from the uber tower builder from the command center will kill a doomguard if focus fired (3 meteors with fully upgraded red gems will also work)
4. If you are being attacked relatively early, such as when you have a few goldmines. You can fight off the vampires with spike research from the research center where you researched masonry and taskmaster and a few mana towers which are made by super workers (goblin shredders)
5. The rest of the game really comes down to your experience and game mechanics.

The best piece of advice that I can give any new player is to ask around and watch other players to see what they are doing, that way you can ask yourself what is the advantage of having the wall at the bottom of the ramp? Why does this guy have half built village houses in front of his wall and surrounding area? If you have any questions you are always free to post them on the forums or stop by channel 'clan vbl' on US East on battlenet. I know that this is a fairly simple guide, devoid of any sort of serious comprehensive work, if I was to write a guide it would take pages and pages because it would be a situation-reaction piece, which isn't very fun to read. The more you play the better you will become and learn to deal with said situations. Assuming that you're reading this, you should check out the other topics for more in depth situations such as tower placement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
opaca
Berserker
Berserker

Battle.net Name : opaca

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:37 am

I have some tips as well:
Focus on your mistakes when you lose, and even when you win. This means don't blame your teammates, which a lot of people do. If you blame others for your losses, you don't improve.

Watch replays of games you consider important, whether you played in them or not.

Don't play dirty; this includes towering, accepting towers, walling, etc. When you are good, the unfair strategies become evident.

These should help the people that truly want to get good at VB.

Shaman
Shaman

Battle.net Name : Northern.Lite(VBU)/Demoness(VBL)

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:07 pm

Please only post in this thread if you have legitimate tips or information. Smile

Note: The off topic comments can now be found in the "Off Topic" section of the forums.

Last edited by Northern.Lite on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the_deku_nutt
Grunt
Grunt

Battle.net Name : The_Deku_Nutt

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:51 pm

Don't play greedy like everyone else. If the vamps are rolling big farm, don't try to sit on your gold and rush tier 4 as fast as possible. I go 6 ubers if I anticipate needing additional gold and lumber for defenses while still wanting a good CC timing.

Get some early manas; vamps can't do anything about them and they're really annoying. Once you get citadel upgrade 2 manas and the damage amp plus feedback will get 2 level 40s off your wall. Vamps can't do anything about these efficiently and they won't attack you.

Spike towers are some of the most cost efficient damage in the game. They scale into lategame unlike flames and ultimates. The command center upgrade for them is cheap and makes them really good.

Stop trying to level your slayer if the vamps are making an obvious, concerted effort to keep them killed. Levels on slayers really aren't that good. Their stat gains don't really matter. If you plan on your slayer being a killing force, then just get shards on them. If having a high level slayer matters that much to you, just buy level tomes on him when you get your tier 4/spire economy. Battle slayers are now broken since they can get shards too.

Everyone always cries about frenchmen. Build 5 spike towers out of range of your wall, but just in range of the space behind your wall. When the frenchmen run in the towers will aggro them automatically. Keep gem workers on hand near your wall in case that frenchmen is roared.

If the vamps are obviously going to get a blasting gem, don't just sit there and cry about how OP it is. Get some lich eyes, build a bunch of manas near the edge of your base, and throw 2 meteors down and vamps won't bother you because the effort and risk outweigh the value.

If you're vamping, don't sit on your gold just to get credit card. Buy items that are annoying to deal with. Hammer is one of the best items in the game. Rushing it wins games. Boom gem can pay itself off really easily by booming low tier structures on the edges of bases. If you use it on your lich, try to get humans to charm that lich. It'll refresh the cooldown and let you use it again when they do.

Buy early concoctions. You're spending 40 gold for 5 seconds of invulnerability. A little known trick is that you can one shot lich eyes when you're in concoction mode which is just icing on the cake.

If you're winning, don't be passive in your play. Get some unholies and surround them. You don't have to attack their wall to win, you can just ruin their ability to do anything. Your passive GPM will be more than enough to compensate for lack of available farm.

If there's only one human left and you can't attack him, try to get his command center hammered. This will make it impossible for him to take advantage of his economy and you'll just sit there and ruin his day. Hammer has 100% uptime so you don't have to worry about passing it. Refresh potion can assist in case you run out of mana.

Happy now dawn?

Shaman
Shaman

Battle.net Name : Northern.Lite(VBU)/Demoness(VBL)

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:31 pm

Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
opaca
Berserker
Berserker

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:49 pm

don't copy what others do without first pondering why they do it to begin with

Peon
Peon

Battle.net Name : garrysbajwa

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:03 am

Basic Walling Techniques, to keep the vamp from jumping the wall.

opaca:gary
opaca:please
opaca:i need for you to acknowledge me

Signature cropped for size limit, Please re-adjust.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
comelate
Grunt
Grunt

Battle.net Name : shrinem

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:09 pm

^ thats how ur not supposed to wall XD

my tumblr follow me and msg me who u are and ill follow back ^_^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ragnar
Peon
Peon

Battle.net Name : Ragnar_

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:35 am

comelate wrote:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
opaca
Berserker
Berserker

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:11 pm

Ragnar wrote:
comelate wrote:

Map Developer
Map Developer

Battle.net Name : Triton144

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:12 pm

There's no right way to wall only ones which are better or worse at defending.

Berserker
Berserker

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:07 pm

Triton144 wrote:

And I can use that "end justifies the means" argument to validate any form of abuse in VB, "There's no right way to win the game, only some which are better or worse at winning".
That's a weak argument Triton.

Map Developer
Map Developer

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:46 pm

opaca wrote:
Triton144 wrote:

And I can use that "end justifies the means" argument to validate any form of abuse in VB, "There's no right way to win the game, only some which are better or worse at winning".

Note I never said it wasn't overpowered or abusive. I strictly said there is no right way to wall.
That is a weak assumption opaca.

Berserker
Berserker

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Triton144 wrote:
opaca wrote:
Triton144 wrote:

Note I never said it wasn't overpowered or abusive. I strictly said there is no right way to wall.
That is a weak assumption opaca.

It's not an assumption when it's explicit. In "There's no right way to wall only ones which are better or worse at defending." you conveniently left out any overpowered or abusive talk, and only included whether it's better at defending or not.

Map Developer
Map Developer

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:37 pm

wow all im saying is there's no right way to wall its not like some deep proposition you don't even have to wall that's fine too.

PostSubject: Re: Dubs basic human guide   

Back to top Go down

Dubs basic human guide
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1